PEACE (PIECE) OF CAKE -- by Jane Kelley

My birthday is coming! Let there be cake!

 Many years ago, my mom and my daughter made me one with chocolate and a whole lot of love. 


There were candles. My daughter was the kind of kid who would have wanted me to have the correct number. My dad was working hard to fit them all in. 

Candles are important. I didn't realize why until I looked it up just now. The smoke of the extinguished flame is what carries the wish up above.  Presumably to one who will grant it. 

My August birthday often made me wonder where the summer had gone. The older I get, the more each journey around the sun feels as short as one rotation on Earth's axis. My wish these days, besides World Peace, would be to have another wish. 
 
Wishing is open to possibility and surprises. Imagining the things that may yet happen. Like all the best stories.

JANE KELLEY will be celebrating her birthday during the Perseid meteor shower––another great time for wishes.




 
 
 
 

Comments

  1. Happy Birthday, Jane! I hope your cake and your day are memorable 💖

    ReplyDelete
  2. !! I didn't know that about candles. Happy birthday, Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to my friend - Mole.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment