Writer Beginnings

How did we get our start as writers?  When did we realize we wanted to write?  It's a question many of us are asked at conferences, workshops and events.  I'm sure the answers are as unique as the writers themselves.  As for me, it is hard to remember a time when I didn't write. As a child, I spent many a rainy day practicing cursive letters, writing notes and letters to friends and loved ones.  What I wouldn't give to have a few of those early attempts at creativity.  Thankfully, I do have some papers my dear mom saw fit to tuck away in a box of "stuff" many years ago.  I will share one with you in honor of beginnings. 


Despite spelling errors and letters tilting in all directions, the enthusiasm for self-expression is evident in this early essay.  The fact that my mom kept it, meant she saw the value of that attempt as well. Never doubt the power of the written word.  Even as we struggle, we can move mountains.
By the way, that Smith Carona typewriter got me through high school and college term papers. It sits, tucked away in a closet. A symbol of a writer's beginnings.

Comments

  1. love this! I still have the book I wrote when I was 8 years old - I think the seed is indeed planted early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lot it. And the fact that you received a typewriter makes it even better. Glad your mother kept it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So am I Janet. Even though I never use the old typewriter anymore, I can't bring myself to get rid of it. Too many memories, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this! I've got a few early handwritten stories of my own. And my old Smith Corona is still in my office...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment