Monthly Theme: Begin Again

by Stephanie J. Blake

I've got the second book blues.

The middle grade novel (a companion to The Marble Queen) that I've been working on for over two years is now shelved.

I'm really struggling with the motivation. I have been drafting picture books. Seems I get an idea or two each day for a picture book.

I want to write another middle grade novel. Trouble is, I don't have any solid ideas. Well, there is this one thing, but I don't know if I can pull it off.

Here's the beginning.

Jackson Jefferson Davis Quick lounged in his video game chair in front of the only television in the house. He was very comfortable and planned on watching a marathon showing of Mythbusters on the Discovery Channel. He didn’t even hear her at first. Honest! But, when his mother screeched, “Jackson, get out there and start on the garage!” the grip on the remote control tightened ever so slightly.

BORING!

What I really need to do is open a brand-new Word doc. and just start fresh.

I'd rather play Candy Crush. Heck, I'd rather clean the oven--or stick my head in it.

I guess I'm out of practice. It's time to re-read the book The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman. I need a workshop!

 
 

Comments

  1. I'm sorry you're struggling, Stephanie. I wish there was a magic pill we could take to get through these kinds of writers blues. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, do I know what you are feeling! You can definitely do this again--you proved it with the beginning above--definitely NOT boring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. been there! and back again. but if you've done it once, you can do it again.I promise. i think sometimes we overhtink the second book and it's never as innocent as the first book porcess is it? Be patient. It'll come to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why not try rewriting your opening in different ways. Try one opening with dialogue. Another with a startling statement. Another with description. Another with a story summary. See if trying different openings will spark motivation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment