New Endings, Old Beginnings

         Years ago, I began writing pages for the sake of only easing my lonleyness and a need to create. I gave myself total permission to write freely, fearlessly and authenticaly. I'm usually a plotter. This time, I was a pantser. 

    It was terrifying. 

    I am the girl with color-coded folders, files and closet. I have all my calendars updated and neat, clean. 

    This manuscript was not, if you could even call it that. It was a short story that had a long way to go. 

    When it came time to swap writings with my three critique partners, I apologized and said I had no book plan at the moment, but hey. Read what I've been playing around with as a consultation prize. Each came back with their feedback: "This is the best thing you've written to date. Keep going."

    I was mildly groaning at the thought, as I had no plot or ending in mind. Instead of running from it, though, I listened to my partners. I opted to give it a shot, a chance, free rein. 

    It took months to finish, years to query, until I finally landed a lovely and dedicated agent who felt as strongly about my novel writing than I did on my own. Together, we've been working on this project for more than a year. And now, it's nearly the close. 

    It is fall that brings me new season, a fresh start, a new notebook. Yet here I find myself now, concluding this book of my heart in the heat of summer. Hopefully it'll go into submission as the leaves start to change color (it's Wisconsin, summer lasts about 9 weeks). And hopefully fall with bring the new change in writing that I need. 


Happy Reading!

Comments

  1. It's always so bittersweet to let go of a much-loved project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How brave of you to keep on going into unknown territory. God luck with your submission.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment