My To-Read Summer List

Summer is in the air as May comes to a close – though, in Wisconsin, we still have a few lingering snow piles, making it a tad early to reach for the beach towel and sunglasses. 

Before June, I’ll start reading my to-do summer read list. My typical to-read stack is nearly as tall as I am, so I hope this works well as a goal!

Firefly Summer by Morgan Matson: Matson is one of my favorite young adult authors, so I was psyched to hear she penned a middle grade. Firefly Summer begins with Ryanna’s summer turning out chaos before it even truly begins. Normally, she be spending the break with her father and new wife. However, when she reads a letter from her maternal grandparents, Ryanna will now meet and get to know her deceased mother’s side of the family in a camp in the Poconos. Once arrived, Ryanna gets to know her grandparents and so many other family members, who seem to all have quirks. She treats her unconventional summer break treating her family exploration like a treasure map.

Alone by Megan E. Freeman: As a middle-schooler, I read and re-read books such as Hatchet and My Side of the Mountain making Alone by Megan E. Freeman a quick summer add for me. Alone is about a harrowing story of a young , Maddie, who wakes from a secret sleepover party with her two best friends to discover she is completely alone in her small Colorado town. There’s no power, phones or internet. Slowly, Maddie begins to find how to survive with a rottweiler and a stack of books. Freeman’s debut novel was a Pushcart Prize.

The Big Sting by Rachelle Delaney: Leo may not know much about running a farm, but that’s all about to change as he visits his grandpa’s house. His late grandmother and her bees and hives are stolen. Despite being a non-risk taker, Leo turns part detective and part adventurer trying to solve the crime. Leo encounters dangers like a deep ocean, an old barn and unfamiliar landscapes as he dives in.

Happy Reading!

 

Comments

  1. I read ALONE and it is one of my favorite books so far this year. Thanks for the other recommendations. Happy Reading.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment