The Eternal Optimist

by Jody Feldman

 I started taking French in 7th grade, continued through freshman year of college, and still know enough, should I visit France, to tell someone that I don't understand what they’re saying. I mention that bit of personal info to lead into one of this month's theme words; more specifically, to the time (high school? college? who can remember?) we were assigned Candide, ou l'Optimisme (Candide, the Optimist). 

Of course, we were to read Voltaire’s satire in the original French. Not easy. But even through my struggles, I do remember liking it. Identifying with it, even. Or maybe just sitting there in awe of of Candide’s perseverance because even through setback after disaster after misfortune – spoiler alert! – Candide retains his optimism and lives happily ever after. 

(Note to self: reread Candide to see how Voltaire pulled that off.)

I may not be as staunch an optimist as Candide – I doubt anyone is – but I do try to find at least one spark of brightness even the face of the worst situations. Not always easy, but still. 

Creatively, though, there is a downside to having such a happily-ever-after attitude. I struggle to put my characters in the tough situations necessary to create a satisfying story. 

Taking a lesson from Candide and ALL his trials, though, just may give me the fortitude to go deeper and darker with the fictional people I've come to love. Having them struggle harder, learning more, growing faster could be the key to an even better happily ever after.

Jody Feldman, author of The Gollywhopper Games series (middle grade) and forthcoming YA thriller No Way Home (Sourcebooks; August 2, 2022) is working overtime to get poor Eddie, the main character in her MG work-in-progress, into even more dire situations.

Comments

Post a Comment