My Agent Is Trying to Kill Me (and I Love Her for It)

When asked what I would do if I were snowbound, I immediately thought, "Edit my book, of course," and then I mentally added, "AGAIN." 

My agent, Abi, has become a dear friend of mine. I absolutely adore her, so why is she trying to kill me?

I've been working on a rather ambitious manuscript for over a year now. Every time I think I'm finally done, she has just a few more edits. I forget what round I'm on right now.

A couple of weeks ago, Abi sent me a few more edits, and I thought, "Okay, I can handle this," and then a few days later, she sent me an email. She'd gotten one of her interns to read the manuscript also, and the intern also had a few suggestions. What's kind of irritating about this is that the intern is obviously bright and the suggestions were quite good. Darn you, brilliant whippersnapper! Now I have even MORE work to do!

I'm an impatient person by nature, and a big part of me just wants to be DONE. But every time we do another round together, the manuscript gets better and better. And I love Abi for that because a lot of agents would be fine with just slapping something together and sending it out and trying to make a quick buck instead of putting in the work to make it just right. I'm not the only one putting in the work: Abi is going above and beyond for me. I appreciate her, and the smart up-and-coming intern who will probably become a fantastic editor or agent in the next few years.

But yeah, they are kinda sorta killing me. 

Anybody got a cabin where I can get snowed in for a week or two? 

Ginger Rue's current book, Wonder Women of Science, is co-authored with rocket scientist Tiera Fletcher, who is currently working with NASA on the Mars mission. The book profiles a dozen amazing women (besides Tiera!) who are blazing new trails in their respective STEM fields.

Comments

Post a Comment