Secret Poetry Writing (Holly Schindler)

When I was in high school, I kept a journal. It was the only successful journal I ever managed. Usually, I get a few entries in, and completely lose interest. But this journal, I wrote in nearly every single day.

And every entry was a poem.

I think that journal was so good for me, in so many ways. In the first place, it kept me writing even when I didn't have a bigger project going on. It made me reach for metaphorical ways to describe what had happened to me that day. And because it was a journal, it was never meant to be seen by anyone. Which meant that I felt free to play and experiment.

And, as we all know, play is instrumental to good writing.

If you're looking for a way to stretch your creative muscles and document this strange time in history--and our lives!--I highly recommend trying a poetry journal.

Things to remember:

*Poetry is powerful largely because an emotion (rather than a character) is the star.
*Poetry can strive to turn the mundane into something unique.
*Poetry is short and punchy--two lines? No problem.
*Poetic forms are easily found online. Experiment! Free verse is cool, but why not a villanelle or cinquain?
*Poetry relies on the experimental. Be gutsy!
*Poetry is what you make of it.

Innovate. Document. Create.

Comments

Post a Comment