Fan Mail, by Michele Weber Hurwitz

One of the best parts of my writerly life is receiving fan mail. I don't know an author who wouldn't agree! All those terrible first drafts, the hours of agonizing over the perfect sentences, the nine-page letter from your editor with suggestions of what you need to "fix," and the not-so-hot review -- all those fade into the background when you get a letter from a young reader that simply says: I loved your book!

Here are a few snippets from some of my all-time favorite fan letters:

"I read your book when I had been in a reading slump for a long time and your book sparked my love of reading again."

"Your book is my favorite book I have read in my entire life. I am 13 years old and I have read a lot of books."

"Please, please, please make a sequel. I know at my school, at least 20 people would read it."

"You were able to change me as a person with your writing."

"Write on. I can't wait to read more. When will your next book be out?"

Despite going to events and conferences, school visits and coffee shops, so much of writing is solitary. It's just your fingers and your brain getting those words on the page. It's hard, and there are many challenging days the fingers and the brain just aren't working. There are good days too, when that perfect sentence materializes on the page. And there are great days when I open up my email and see a subject line like this: "From Your Biggest Fan."

Thank you readers, for taking the time to send us writers some love. We appreciate it from the bottom of our hearts!

Michele Weber Hurwitz is the author of Ethan Marcus Stands Up (Aladdin Books 2017), The Summer I Saved the World in 65 Days (Wendy Lamb Books 2014), and Calli Be Gold (Wendy Lamb Books 2011). Catch up with her at micheleweberhurwitz.com




Comments

Post a Comment