Writing AS the Distraction

For most of my long writing career, I've had demanding day (or day-and-night) jobs. I've been an editor for a university think tank, a college professor with a full-time academic appointment, a mom of two boys, and now I'm a grandmother who watches my two small granddaughters ten days each month.

This means that writing has always been my private passion, my secret joy, my stolen pleasure. It's what I did in the early morning hours before others in my family awakened, what I did on lazy weekend days, and what I cherished during holidays. My idea of a dream vacation has always been having time to write - preferably time to write in a little cottage overlooking the sea.

So I identified completely with Elizabeth Gilbert's recommendation, in her delicious book Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear, that we should consider having an "affair" with our creativity. She writes, "Stop treating your creativity like it's a tired, old, unhappy marriage (a grind, a drag) and start regarding it with the fresh eyes of a passionate lover. Even if you have only fifteen minutes in a stairwell alone with your creativity, take it. Go hide in that stairwell and make out with your art!"

I love this way of thinking about our relationship with our creative work- not as work at all, as something we have to do, but as play - something we get to do, even though maybe we shouldn't - and sexy play, too. Gilbert continues, "Lie to everyone about where you're going on your lunch break. Pretend you're on a business trip when secretly you're retreating in order to paint, or to write poetry. . . Slip away from everyone else at the party and go off to dance alone with your ideas in the dark."

Ooh! Just from reading this, I feel my fingers itching to find a pen and whisper sweet nothings with it to an enticingly bare page....





Comments

  1. Love the analogy of writing as clandestine and sexy...if we don't enjoy it, what's the point?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I feel, too, Darlene. Often people glorify the misery of authors - but why not allow ourselves to engage in writing joyously?

      Delete
  2. Inspirational read! Thank you for the recommendation of Big Magic, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll love it, Bobbi. I'm not a podcast person, but apparently she has such great podcasts on creativity, too, plus a TED talk.

      Delete
    2. I'll be sure to look for the TED talk!

      Delete
  3. That's such great advice. You really do need to write from a place of joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly. Writing for this blog sparks joy!

      Delete

Post a Comment