What is the Moon of Your Imagination? Smack Dab in the Imagination by Dia Calhoun

The third super moon of the year fell on the equinox--what could be better? The name. Worm Moon--that's the name of the full moon of March. Really? All the amazing things about spring and Worm Moon is the best we can do? (no offense to worms or their importance intended...)

Where I live, the frogs singing on the river are one of the first heralds of spring. So I am renaming the March full moon, Frog Moon. I like the idea of connecting cosmic events to my own geographical location. So I plan to use my imagination to create my own names for each month's full moon.

What an intriguing imaginative assignment this would be for kids. Ask students to create their own names for each month's full moon, based on what they do in that month or on where they live. (I can hear your warning ....Screen Moon will be the most popular choice . . .) Have the students add a sentence or two about why they chose each name. Then have them choose their favorite moon as short story or poem prompt.

I am working on my list. So far:
September: Golden Corn Moon.
June: Shawn's Strawberry Moon.
October: Last Chance to Dance Moon (before winter.)
January: Quiet Moon
February: Endless Winter Moon

I'll keep you posted.



Comments

  1. This is a lovely tribute to moons of all imaginations. Wonderful imagery.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment