Top 5 Writing Distractions


1. The lake - There is always always something fun to do on the lake... even if it is just looking at it!

#lakelife

2. Rosie - Aren't puppies the best?? Every day is full of wonder and learning with this little girl in our lives. She's an Australian shepherd, and we are in love with her. :)

Rosie


3. Books - I've heard some authors say that they can't read while they are writing. For me, it's the opposite: books fuel books! I am a voracious reader. I have to limit my reading to certain hours so that I don't get so lost in books that I don't get my writing done. Currently reading NEW KID by Jerry Craft.



4. Thrift/antique shopping - Taking off for the thrift store is probably my most common escape from writing. Currently I am looking for some stained glass panels to hang in my screened porch. :) 
A few thrift/antique store finds....

5. Crafting - I love making things! Scrapbooks, quilts, pillows, art... you name it, I've probably at least tried it! Recently I made this diaper cake for a friend's baby shower.
diaper cake!
-----------
Irene Latham is the author of many books, including two novels for children, Leaving Gee's Bend and Don't Feed the Boy. Winner of the 2016 ILA Lee Bennett Hopkins Promising Poet Award, her poetry books for children include Dear Wandering Wildebeest, When the Sun Shines on Antarctica, Fresh Delicious and Can I Touch Your Hair? (with Charles Waters), which was named a Charlotte Huck Honor book and a Kirkus Best Book of 2018. Irene lives on a lake in Alabama where she does her best to “live her poem” every single day by laughing, playing the cello, and birdwatching. 


Comments

  1. Ooh, the diaper cake looks divine! And great reminder of how FUN distractions can be.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment