Setting! By Debbie Poslosky

 

The dictionary states that “setting is the place or type of surroundings where something is positioned or where an event takes place.”  Way back when, when I  was in school, we were taught in our writing class that we needed a one sentence setting-just like the definition-nothing more.  And we would redo our setting until it met that standard.  However, as I grew I began to finally understand how books could touch me and change how I think, understand, respond, and grow as a human being, but most importantly grow into myself. 


The power of the written word has been debated, censored, and embraced throughout history.  And I found that the books or writings I was drawn to, had a well developed setting! Far more than one sentence, and that settings could change as the characters grow!   The word choices, the structures of the sentences helped me to truly visualize what I was reading so I could see it in my mind’s eye. 


When I taught 4th and 5th graders, movies were starting to come out about the books that were popular.  Our class would have a movie afternoon from time to time.  Always, the children wanted to watch those movies. Some students had already read the book, some had not or could not attempt to read it.  I was always firm about never watching a movie about a book until we read the book together as a class.  And the kids always taught me so much about their brains!  My top notch group of readers typically had already read the book and moaned about how they really didn’t want to have me read it aloud again!  But I hung tough.  A couple books that come to mind are Shiloh and Because of Winn-Dixie.


I found that even my “best” readers really never thought about the setting and how that impacted the characters.  By pointing out the details of a well-written setting that are often missed by students, they could begin thinking about why the author chose THIS setting for THIS book and why the story might not work in other settings, or even in their own lives.  And the process of perspective would begin.  Often I would have them close their eyes as I read the settings in the books and little by little the students began to see the power of setting as just one element of writing, reading, or telling a story!  It began to show up in the writing they were doing, too. 


We discussed that authors are very intentional about everything they write--every word, picture, title, etc.  Sometimes it is easy to notice, but oftentimes it is not, and that for me, is one of the most enjoyable parts of reading!  I, myself, got to put my own thinking into the story and try and predict or validate or change my thinking, and it was so powerful. 


At the end of each book the question was always: What did the author want us to learn from reading this book? And, how has reading this book changed or confirmed my thinking?”  Then I would let them watch the movie.  And my favorite part of that was listening to some of them discuss how they liked the way the author did better, or asking why did they take out that part? It was so good!  So, once again, I take my hat off to all of you authors who craft these amazing books and stories that reach hundreds of people and by doing so you help them grow and learn that, they too, may have these same issues and here is another way to figure it out. Setting. Important in books and important in life!

Comments

  1. I have to take my hat off to you for being such an incredible teacher! We so need great teachers like you to help make lifelong readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that Holly! Thanks for sharing your love of reading and writing with your students Deborah!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment