alive Alive ALIVE!

We turn our thoughts this (most alive!) month to Most Alive settings:

IRL: #lakelife ! We are new to living on a lake, and neither of us grew up visiting lakes. It's taken a few seasons for us to learn all the joys of lake living. The view alone is enough to make me feel alive. And kayaking, fishing, tubing, swimming, wildlife-watching, and fire-pit fellowship are everyday activities for us now. It's wonderful and inspiring!

Other places where I've been overcome by alive-feelings:

La Jolla, CA
Yosemite Valley, CA
Cape San Blas, FL
Badlands, SD
The Enchanted Highway, ND – I love North Dakota's stark beauty so much I used it as the (dystopian) geographical setting in my newest novel D-39: A Robodog's Journey. (Side note: the D-39 model robodog is made by a company named Dog Alive!)

When it comes to alive-settings in books, I can conjure quite a few! But here are my knee-jerk responses.

Classic children's literature:
Narnia
Contemporary children's literature: Hogwarts
New (2021) middle grade novel: Amari and the Night Brothers by B.B. Alston

Isn't it interesting that all are FANTASY? The power of imagination, yes?

Wishing you all the alive-feelings today!
---
Irene Latham is a grateful creator of many novels, poetry collections, and picture books, including the coauthored Can I Touch Your Hair?: Poems of Race, Mistakes, and Friendship, which earned a Charlotte Huck Honor, and The Cat Man of Aleppo, which won a Caldecott Honor. Irene lives on a lake in rural Alabama.

Comments

Post a Comment