My Mentor, My Friend

“When it came time to go for my writing dream, I knew there was nothing I could say to calm the youngest parts of me, who feared yet another disappointment. So I had two choices: I could sit with her forever in that dreamless world, or I could pick her up with compassion, and carry her along with conviction, and prove to her that not all stories have sad endings.” -Sandra Kring

I am truly blessed that one of my favorite authors, Sandra Kring, is also one of my truest and kindest friends. We met in a book interview – her latest novel about to hit the shelves, and me a journalist. 

I had my own childhood aspirations at the time as I sat behind that newspaper reporter desk. I always had. To write a novel. My attempts to fulfill that dream had been weak and half-hearted, afraid to try.

Sandra would later become my first – and one of my best ever – mentors. Both in writing, and in my life. 

It’s true childhood me was terrified to try. Terrified to fail. I’d write a sentence or a chapter or two then destroy it. I never told anyone. I didn’t want them to laugh at me, or judge me if or when my writing never went anywhere. 

A change in life circumstance scared me beyond anything my own personal failure ever could. Suddenly, failing at something like writing a book was the least thing that could punch the wind from my lungs. I wrote. I wrote and wrote and wrote until I had my first novel. Then the next. And the next.

It was Sandra who read my first – really bad – attempts at a first manuscript. It was Sandra who stood by as I honed my writing and learned more and got better. She was there as I queried my first agents, signed my first book deal, stood at the podium for my first-ever book reading. 

There are a lot of things in life to be afraid of. Making friends, and trying your hardest to make your dreams come true, shouldn’t be one of them. 

Thank you, Sandra. 

Happy reading!


Comments

Post a Comment