A First Time for Everything

I find that a lot of writers are like I used to be in that they're apologetic about what they haven't done.

"I haven't published a novel."

"I haven't ever published a story."

"I've never written fiction before."

"I've don't write nonfiction."

"No one's ever invited me to present at a conference."

"It's not like I'm on any bestseller lists."

"My books don't have any writing awards."

The list goes on.

In stacking up a list of the things we haven't done, we de-legitimize ourselves.

But guess what?

The writers who have done all the things you haven't done...hadn't done them either...until they did them!

So in 2020, I challenge you to add one little, three-letter word to your "never have I ever" writing statements: the word YET.

Maybe you haven't finished a novel YET. Or published a nonfiction YET. But that doesn't mean you never will.

And after the first time of finally doing the thing you've never done, you've done it!

Here's to all your successes that are yet to be in the new decade!


Ginger Rue is the author of the Aleca Zamm series from Aladdin and the Tig Ripley series from Sleeping Bear.






Comments

Post a Comment