AUGGIE AND THE END OF SUMMER (THE JUNCTION OF SUNSHINE AND LUCKY / HOLLY SCHINDLER)


THE JUNCTION OF SUNSHINE AND LUCKY starts as Auggie's summer is winding down. In fact, it starts on the very last day of summer, as Auggie and her friends are preparing for the fifth grade in a new school (their old school was torn down and the students have been redistricted).

Auggie's excitement over the impending school year leads to one of my favorite passages in the book:

All summer, everyone's been saying "Dickerson," the name of my new school, the same way that they say, "Ooooh. Double chocolate truffle cake." Like it's something they all wish they could sink their teeth into. And a special school is the perfect place for a girl like me to finally find her special-something. Thinking about it makes a smile break out inside me.

The way I figure it, there are two kinds of people in this world--people who shine like the chrome on Old Glory [Grampa Gus's truck], and people who are more like the rusted metal in McGunn's [junkyard]. My entire life, I've been surrounded by people who shine, who have a special-something. And starting tomorrow, I'm going to find mine.

Comments

Post a Comment