May Flowers by Laurie Calkhoven

Writing fiction is my first love. But I make a living as an author, and I often find myself writing books editors ask to me write. So, when an editor from Scholastic called and asked if I was interested in pulling together a book about the various ways animals have aided the military over the years, I said yes.

As always, I was sorry to be putting aside my novel to work on a nonfiction project, but once I started, I became fascinated with the ways dolphins and pigeons and horses and dogs and even glowworms have become heroes in wartime.

It was a really fun book to write. The photo research team at Scholastic did an amazing job with the illustrations. And then I saw the cover (the book comes out in August), and how cute is this?


The editor was great to work with, and I’ve since sold her another book—a collective biography of 50 amazing American women called WOMEN WHO CHANGED THE WORLD.

So, I started with one book I didn’t really want to write, had a blast, and sold another project. I still haven’t had time to get back to that novel, but I’m learning amazing things and keeping the roof over my head.  May flowers indeed.


Comments

  1. I understand about having to put aside a story that's calling to you, but in doing so one oppourtunity led to another. Now you have not one but TWO fascinating books that kids are going to love. And, yes, the cover is wonderful. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids are lucky that you take the time to write interesting, fun and educational books on a variety of topics. Can't wait to read Military Animals. I loved "I Grew up to be President" and look forward to the book about women who changed the world!! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Laurie! The book looks like a winner and Both projects are perfect classroom additions. I look forward to reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a total sucker for dog stories. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how many good things can happen if we say even a grudging yes to the universe for unexpected opportunities.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment