HOT MIDDLE GRADE FICTION (August Theme)

Writers have long been fond of telling stories that include extremes in weather and climate -- all the more for our main characters to overcome!

And since our theme this month is "hot," here are some old and new and borrowed and (not) blue MG/YA books that I love which happen to employ heat or drought or desert as a key story element:


BLOOD RED ROAD by Moira Young



DON'T FEED THE BOY by Irene Latham
(Okay, I have a special interest in "hot" books because I wrote one!)



GOLDEN BOY by Tara Sullivan




THE HIGHER POWER OF LUCKY by Susan Patron




HOLES by Louis Sachar




PARCHED by Melanie Crowder




WORDS IN THE DUST by Trent Reedy


Readers, what "hot" books are on your list?

Comments

  1. I'd have to nominate my own book, HENRY FRANKS, which uses heat and an impending hurricane basically as a character. Loved PARCHED and WORDS IN THE DUST (and only a little biased as the authors are agent-mates).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You say hot, and my mind immediately goes to cold books, especially The White Darkness by Geraldine McCaughrean.

    I loved Holes -- what a great, complex narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Megan--I loved Holes, too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great list! I love The Higher Power of Lucky and Holes...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment