July Theme: KATY PERRY, WHIZZLERS, DISNEY & A DROUGHT by Irene Latham


Confession: I am not a huge fan of fireworks. (I'm not even a tiny fan of fireworks.) Perhaps it’s the introvert in me: I am not sure who it was that decided noise=fun. I am more entertained by fireflies.

I do love the names of fireworks: sparklers, rockets, cakes, fountains, candles, whizzlers, poppers, crackers. Words like that make the poet in me kind of giddy.

I also love Katy Perry’s overarching metaphor and the simile “own the night like the Fourth of July” as it appears in her song “Firework.”



The best fireworks I’ve ever seen were at Walt Disney World, right after the Electric Light Parade, the very first time I visited in 1977. Possibly there were factors other than the actual fireworks that make this memory so spectacular. That’s okay.  It still counts.

Fireworks come into play in my new novel DON’T FEED THE BOY. That’s because the story takes place during a severe drought.  And when there’s a drought, many municipalities will ban Fourth of July fireworks due to the fire hazard. What a disappointment for Whit, the hero of my story! But definitely for the best. (Idon’t think they’ll be having fireworks in Colorado this year. My thoughts and prayers to all those affected.)

If you do enjoy fireworks, I hope you get a sky-full! And if you’re more like me, I wish you lots of blinky fireflies. 

Comments

  1. Fun post, all connected to Katy Perry, too. Thanks for the Colorado thoughts, Irene. The list of cancelations grows longer, & people are alarmed & sad & rather silly about it too. (They are still selling them!) I loved them as a kid for sure, but then as a mother, I wasn't apprehensive. Amazing how one changes with age. What I admire most is that someone can put some 'powder' together & it becomes purple & red stars falling in an arc, or a burst of red, white & blue that then explodes into more stars. Amazing. FYI-fireflies are not in Colorado-too dry a habitat I think. Some students have never seen them-sad. Happy Independence Day-food & family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No fireflies! Come to Alabama, Linda! And yes, it IS an amazing feat, the creation of fireworks. Thanks for mentioning that. xo

      Delete
  2. I just gasped. No fireflies in CO, Linda??? We're so dry here, I've made a date for the 4th with a hose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joining you with that hose, Holly.... hope yours is a good one!

      Delete
  3. I remember how magical fireworks were as a child. I do still enjoy them, but fireworks alone don't have the same immense impact now. Last night's fireworks show was a family affair watching from the roof of my sister's boathouse at Lake Lure, NC, with all five of my kids present. That's what made it magical.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment