Me? A Multi-Tasking Writer? (December Theme from Jody Feldman)

When I was trying to find my way with this writing thing (still am, always will be, by the way) I got labeled as a multi-tasker. The fact is, I’ve always been able to juggle many things in my life on any given day (writing, cooking, chauffeuring, volunteering, Skyping, doing school visits, working puzzles, watching TV/movies, etc.), but that wasn’t the reason for the label. In my early critique group times, I would work on a first draft in the mornings then, in the afternoons, edit something I’d brought to The End. At the same time, I was likely coming up with a new idea. And so I bought into the label.

To keep the charade going, I found myself carving out time every day to both draft and revise. That’s who I was, right? My group had labeled me with a sticker of awe, so I wore it with a sense of pride.

I’d love to tell you about a certain epiphany-laden moment when I realized that it takes one mindset to splash new material all over the page, another to comb through scenes for big-picture issues, and a third to target minute imperfections, but it turns out I had to learn the long way. One day or another, during a period when I was completely absorbed in a shiny first draft, I chucked aside the revision to string together several 5,000-word+ days in a row. I may have decided my writing had improved or I was breathing easier without the scattershot method or I was tired of the multi-tasking catchphrase. I’m not sure. I’m only sure, however, there was no aha! moment.

The aha! moment came the next time a critique mate was extolling my ability to juggle all these stories at the same time. That’s when I stopped her. “I used to think I could do that,” I said, “but it turns out I was just faking it.”

As for my sense of pride at having to admit I was only mortal? Funny thing, I felt even more proud that I had reclaimed my true process from the clutches of vanity.

Comments

  1. Yes! I, too, have had to learn to focus on one project at a time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone, long ago, had probably mentioned that that one-project rule might be wise, but sometimes you simply need to learn on your own.

      Delete
  2. Yay for reclaiming your true process. I sometimes have to jump from project to project when I'm working on freelance assignments, but I do my best work when I get to focus on one thing at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That assignment thing pays some good bills, I know, but when it keeps you from doing what you really want to do ... that's hard.

      Delete
  3. Such great reminders for me, Jody! The juggling thing can be incredibly overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to mention, an ugly reminder of how uncoordinated you are ... or I am, that is :)

      Delete
  4. I'm working on this very same issue, Jody. My problem is I want to do so many things. I think 2014 needs to be my year of prioritizing! I also think trying to live our lives according to the shoulds and ought-tos is hazardous and very difficult to overcome.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment