December Theme: Community and Writing
By Marcia Thornton Jones

I’m not a joiner. I’m a starter. Not because I have anything against joining existing groups, but because I often find myself gabbing with like-minded companions about a support void and before I know it, “We should start a group,” pops out of my mouth. That’s how several book groups, a couple critique groups, a creativity group, and a few other writing-oriented groups began.

Why I do it? Why take the time? The effort? Why bother to stoke the creative flames of others?

While teaching a recent writing workshop I noticed how energized I became as I developed lessons, worksheets, and exercises. The act of sharing, encouraging, and motivating others resulted in increased motivation for my own writing. That’s when it hit me. By helping others I help myself.

It’s easy, really, for me to identify who feeds my soul and those that drain it. A strong support system keeps me grounded yet energized. What I need to do is nurture those people and things in my community that create optimism and foster joy…and prune those that don’t.

This talk of fostering a supportive community makes me curious about my story characters. After all, if I do my job right, they’ll have increasing obstacles that will require more and more energy, motivation, and perseverance. I wonder…are my characters:

·      Joiners or loners?
·      Leaders or followers?
·      What group would they feel compelled to create?
·      What group would they be tempted to destroy?
·      What groups would they embrace?
·      What groups would embrace them?
·      What groups would they shun?
·      What groups would shun them?
·      Who or what energizes them?
·      Who or what drains them?
·      Who or what motivates them?
·      Who or what holds them back?

I think I just discovered tomorrow’s writing warm-up prompt. Who wants to join me? Maybe we should start a group

Comments

  1. Love this post. It makes me think of the old Woody Allen line..."I would have a hard time belonging to a group that would have me as a member." We make room for the ones that enrich our lives. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that quote, too. Group identity can be dangerous sometimes.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Marcia. I, too, try to support other writers—so many have helped me. We're in a tough business and having mentors and mentees(sp) makes it much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a tough business...and seems to be getting tougher!

      Delete
  3. Love that line about "those who feed my soul and those who drain it." Creative people HAVE to beware of the soul-drainers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there seem to be so many soul-drainers. How does everyone else deal with them?

      Delete
  4. You're a born writer and a teacher, Marcia. I'm grateful for your need to start groups and share the creative process. You've helped me immensely over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurie! And I continue to learn from and be inspired by you!

      Delete
  5. Marcia, I love the questions you give us to ask about each of our characters. That could practically generate a whole book right there, just to start with those questions and see where they take us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like them! Let me know if they spark a new idea or two!

      Delete
  6. Marcia, I was dragging my feet about getting started this morning, and your questions have motivated me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad they inspired you! Makes me feel like I accomplished something. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete

Post a Comment