Puzzling... How to Solve Problems
by Charlotte Bennardo
The theme is problem solving. Being an English major and creative writer, solving problems, like in Algebra or the dreaded geometry classes (we won't even discuss chemistry), was not my forte. In my younger years, if I encountered a problem in these classes, well, that was what after-school help and tutoring were for. In college, I learned a valuable lesson off a classroom poster which said something to the effect of look at a problem and break it down into simpler tasks. I've found this works in almost anything I do.
Here's how I relate problem solving to writing: How to write a book/essay/paper:
1. Write down the bones: what plot points need to happen, how many characters are there, where will the actions take place? For an essay or paper, what points need to be addressed?
2. Once I know what has to be in the story or paper, I do a rough outline, about 1-2 sentences per chapter or paragraph.
3. I expand the outline with more detail.
4. Reviewing the outline will tell me if I've missed a plot point or solution, or an argument that needed to be made or disproved.
5. Now I write the story or the paper.
6. Review and another edit (usually several) will point to any vagueness.
Problems sometimes seem insurmountable because we look at the big picture, when instead, we should look at the pieces. Which can I solve first, which will require research or study? By solving the pieces one by one, the problem becomes solvable. Kind of like looking at a puzzle. One thousand pieces in a box. Trying to fit random pieces together is frustrating and inefficient. I like to fit the edge pieces together. Next, color groupings, like if there's a red barn, fit those pieces together, and so forth.
Now if only chemistry had been that simple.

Comments
Post a Comment