The Pricelessness of Problem-Solving
Working Girl has one of my
favorite scenes in any movie, but this one has little to do with the plot and nothing
to do with the relationships, which is unusual for a rom-com.
During a corporate meeting, the
head honcho relates a news story about a truck that was too tall to clear an
underpass and the little girl who suggested that they simply deflate the tires
enough to lower the vehicle, thus solving the problem.
That bit merely acted as a segue
into the rest of the scene. I’ve wondered what came first: the screenwriter
having read about the truck incident or the necessity of including an
interesting segue.
In one specific case, for me, it
was the latter.
I’m often asked which of my books
is my favorite. If you’re a writer, you know that’s like asking a parent to choose
their favorite child. Instead, I relate one of my favorite scenes.
That was my dilemma as well. I needed Gil to solve this issue for me. Except…
I am Gil. I needed me to solve it for him.
It finally dawned on me that if Gil could get this materialistic guy to take out the earpiece for just a minute…hmm… yeah…that would work.
I'd already written that Gil carried a
lucky penny. So, I backtracked to mention, in passing,
that he had a hole in his pants pocket. Now, Gil simply needed to let his lucky
penny slide through the hole and drop onto the floor. When the guy looked
toward the tiny clink, it proved he wasn’t hearing impaired in the least.*
Problem solved!
Why is this a favorite scene? Not because it's vital to the heart of the story. It’s how solving
it made me feel smart.
That’s the beauty of facing a problem and beating it. Solving even the smallest problem can give us a feeling of accomplishment. And the sensation that comes with it is priceless.
It seems that Jody Feldman is really good at writing herself into corners. She hopes she's becoming more skilled at getting herself out because this one character is currently in a real mess.
*The full scene, including the necessity to stop another teammate from cheating, is in Chapter 10, should you want to read it.
Comments
Post a Comment