You Got To Have Friends -- by Jane Kelley

My nine-year-old daughter Sofia was my first reader for NATURE GIRL. She was eager to read about my character Megan's adventures hiking the Appalachian Trail with her little dog Arp. Megan started her hike because she wanted to be with her best friend, Lucy. Lucy had decided she couldn't visit Megan--she needed to stay with her mom who was recovering from cancer. Megan's journey was two-fold. One was surviving the hardships of the trail. The other was learning what it meant to be a friend. Dealing with lack of food, bathrooms, mosquitoes, and mountains was easier for Megan than admitting that it was selfish to want Lucy by her side. 

Somehow Megan manages to reach her goals and become that better person. When she arrives at Lucy's house, she tells Lucy she understands why Lucy needs to be with her mom. Megan hugs Lucy and says--see you in September when school starts. 

Sofia said that was a terrible ending. 

Oh no, I explained. Megan has to say that so the reader knows she has matured.

I don't care, Sofia said. Megan and Lucy need to be together.

I patted Sofia on the head (not actually, I hope) and said she'd understand why the most appropriate ending for the book when she was older.

After a day or so, I came to my senses. Of course the friends needed to be together! What was I thinking? Well, there's your answer. I was thinking. I was actually over thinking. And not feeling.  

Sure it's fine to learn life's lessons and climb mountains. But friends are what we care most about. No matter how old we are. 

illustration by Heather Palisi
 

Jane Kelley applies the Sofia Rule in all her books. You got to have friends.

 

 

 

 

Comments