Student Potential by Jennifer Mitchell

Thinking of confrontation as the topic of the blog this month, I spin that as more of accountability in my mind as a teacher.  I think students need to be held to standards that they are capable of.  If I set my expectations where they place some of theirs at, they would not be working to their full potential.  I think kids (and adults) rise to expectations if people believe in their ability.  If I allow students to turn in work that isn’t their personal best, I am not challenging them to progress to a higher level.  Sometimes that means having one-on-one conversations to share with students what I think they are capable of.  With some students dialoguing with them once might work to challenge them to do their best work.  Other students need weekly reminders until it becomes second nature.  I believe accountability can be effective if it is intentional with a side of compassion. :)

Jennifer Mitchell 3rd grade teacher in the Kansas City area


Comments

  1. I love how each student is treated individually and not as "one size fits all". Some folks outside of education don't always get that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of telling a student straight-out what you think a student is capable of. What a powerful conversation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment