The Best Gift (Holly Schindler)

 

I'm convinced the greatest gift you can give or receive is the gift of time.

I got that gift, when I graduated with a master's degree back in '01. My family offered to support me while I got my writing career off the ground. I had time to write. Time that never would have been mine otherwise. 

It has made all the difference. Everyone is different, and certainly the vast majority of writers get there while working additional full-time jobs. In my case, I'm convinced my writing career would have most likely never materialized without this gift.

The older I get, the more I realize that the gift of time doesn't have to be so grand. It can be as simple as sharing a cup of coffee. Calling a friend to ask how they are. Taking a moment to write an email. Listening--and giving your full attention--to an acquaintance who wants to tell you a story. 

It's all important. In my experience, it's extra sweet when you receive one of these smaller gifts of time from someone you hardly know. And it's an especially painful hurt that accompanies a supposed friend not finding a few moments to devote to you. (How we can all be pained by the chronic, "I'm too busy!" excuse that mostly feels like it's an attempt to cover disinterest!)

In 2023, make it a point not to be too busy. Listen and share and reach out. Check in on a neighbor. Wish a coworker a happy birthday. Send someone a note to tell them you were on their mind. 

That's how I'll be spending 2023, too. 

Comments

  1. Great reminder to be more intentional with time and how we spend our days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This resonates with me. It's disheartening to have to schedule even a quick catch up phone call with a friend weeks out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an excellent discussion, and absolutely true. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys. I'm so glad it resonated!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment