Writing Distractions...let me count the ways, by Michele Weber Hurwitz

This month on the blog we're writing about distractions we face as authors. Oh, where to begin. Of course there's social media and the nonstop use of our phones, buzzing and beeping constantly with texts, alerts, and the occasional actual call. Then there's my dusty house, piles on my desk, bills to be paid, a car that hasn't been washed in hmm...when was the last time? My kids and spouse, who need me to do something for them "immediately," grocery shopping and actually cooking dinner once in a while, EMAILS that come in as quickly as I go through my in-box, not to mention the "other" work we authors do -- promoting, visiting schools, answering fan mail -- all good stuff, but also distractions from that serious, focused writing work we need to sit down and get done.

As my fellow bloggers have mentioned in their posts, the crux of it is, LIFE is a distraction!

I've thought about this a lot. Because although we face numerous, constant distractions, isn't that what fuels us, too? The Instagram post from a reader who took an artistic photo of my book cover surrounded by flowers and lip gloss -- that virtual pat on the back made me smile and lifted me up on a day when the words weren't coming. The interruption from my daughter, texting me something funny her roommate said...hmm, maybe I could steal that for a snippet of dialogue. And the dusty house...I've used that for setting many a time :)

I've come to the realization that distractions are just part of being a writer. The truth is, I think I'd feel uninspired without them.

Michele Weber Hurwitz is trying to quiet the distractions while she revises her fifth middle grade novel, due May 2020 from Penguin Random House/Wendy Lamb Books. More at micheleweberhurwitz.com.

Comments

  1. Totally agree about distractions fueling us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brings to mind a line I've seen attributed to Katherine Paterson - that we need to remember that "the very things that keep us from writing are what give us something to write ABOUT."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment