Quotes That Inspire by Darlene Beck Jacobson

As I thought about what to write for this month's post, I decided to combine both ideas into some inspirational quotes that help boost the self-esteem of a writer. It is a solitary occupation, doing what we do, and sometimes it feels as if we are drowning in a sea of rejection and negativity. Yet still, NOT writing is NOT an option. So, for those days when it feels particularly hard, I find what I need to keep going in the wisdom of others who came before.

"Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul." - Samuel Ullman

This one just reminds me that writing for children is a wonderful thing that brings out the curiosity and wonder found in life, when we slow down and choose to watch and listen.

"Writing is the only profession where no one considers you ridiculous if you earn no money". -source unknown

We are not in this to get rich...the rewards are sometimes intangible and much more lasting than money.

"A mind once stretched by new ideas never regains its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes

Writing - and reading - takes us to places we can only dream about, and opens our minds to all that is possible and impossibly wonderful.

"There are only two ways to live life: One as though nothing is a miracle. The other as if everything is." - Albert Einstein

For me, and I suspect for many of us who write for children, EVERYTHING is a miracle.

I leave you with this, from MARK TWAIN: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

And...keep on writing. When you look up...there are no limits.
   

Comments

  1. The Mark Twain quote is the one that most spoke to me. A full 100 percent of my life's regrets - and actually, I don't have that many life regrets - are about the things I DIDN'T do - the seas I didn't sail...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Claudia. Letting an opportunity go by because we are afraid, unsure, too tired, or whatever the reason is something we may never have again. The older I get, the more I try to "seize the day".

      Delete

Post a Comment