POCKET BEAR: A Delightful New MG From Katherine Applegate by Darlene Beck Jacobson
Many of you know that I am a huge fan of historical fiction. Both my books are part of the genre and I am always looking for great books that are set in times of the past.
What makes this book I am featuring today so unique is that while it is NOT historical fiction, it IS inspired by historical events. Ever hear of pocket bears? I hadn't until I read POCKET BEAR by Katherine Applegate.
Pocket bears were three inch bears with eyes set higher in the head so that when placed in the uniform shirt pocket of a soldier in WWI, it peeked out. Whenever the soldier looked down, he saw the big eyes of the bear looking back at him, reminding him of home and those he loved and bringing comfort in a foreign land. How could such a wonderful story from our wartime past have been forgotten?
Here's my review for this amazing book :
Pocket Bear is the inspiration for this delightful tale of bravery and second chances by Katherine Applegate. A collection of outgrown and discarded stuffed toys find a temporary home with a mother and daughter and one thieving cat named Zephyrina. After midnight each evening, they come to life. Pocket leads the group, encouraging them to hold out hope that one day someone will come and take them to a new home, so they can serve their purpose of loving and comforting a child or adult in a time of need. Narrated by the cat, we learn about courage, friendship, and how being small of stature doesn't mean having a small heart.
This book is a joy and brings comfort and peace to the reader, no matter what age. It makes me look at all the stuffed toys my kids left here in a whole new way. I ADORE this book! A 5 star winner.

What a fantastic premise!
ReplyDeleteKatherine Applegate is one of my favorites! I'll have to check this book out.
ReplyDelete