GIVE ME CLOUDS -- by Jane Kelley

Blue skies.

Without that bit of cloud and tree, would you even know what the photograph is? Does it inspire you in anyway -- except to wonder why I took it and why it's in my blog?

Don't misunderstand me. I love a blue sky! I love when the sun shines on me. Especially if it's an important day with important outdoor plans that did not include any contingencies. 

There was no blue sky on June 14, 1986. It rained all day. Lee and I couldn't get married on the shores of Lake Michigan as we planned. Instead, we got married in my parents' living room. Five hours later, we made our guests walk down a muddy path so that we could repeat our vows on the beach. Thirty-eight years later, we are still talking about a day made even more memorable by the clouds that refused to part. 

An important aspect of the story is that I refused to even consider renting a tent. How could I be so stubborn? The wedding was to take place in Wisconsin where any day has a fifty-fifty chance of rain. But I was blue-skying. In business jargon, that means being optimistic. Refusing to be inhibited by realities. By ignoring limitations, blue-skying does encourage creative thinking. However some say blue-skying doesn't cause plausible business ventures--just those dreamed up by entrepreneurs who aren't in touch with reality.

Hmm. Like writing middle-grade fiction?

Speaking of. . ..

Let's reconsider the concept. Instead of blue skies -- a seemingly limitless view of the heavens -- let's add some clouds. Think of them as reality. Not to prevent something from being created -- but instead to make that creation accountable. Who is the reader? Who is the market? Have I actually communicated the things I want to say? 

Clouds also provide drama. Obstacles. Contrast. Beauty. Suspense.


Would the rain stop long enough for Jane and Lee to say "I do!"


The rosy stripe along the horizon said yes.

Jane Kelley will soon be celebrating her 38th anniversary -- in a cave! Where the sky won't be visible at all. When she is writing, she will keep blue-skying with an appropriate sprinkle of clouds.




Comments

Post a Comment