Tuesday 2-Minute Writing Tip #19 "Listening to Intuition"

 Hello! This month we are riffing on the word "Listen."

I love this word. So much, that one year (2009!) I chose it as my One Little Word.

As a introverted person who grew up in a chaotic household, I learned very early to listen...to conversations; to news; to other people's opinions and wants and wishes; and to anything that might warn me and keep me safe in the face of upcoming danger.

As a poet, listening is one of my super-powers. So often, as observers of the world, we are called upon to listen.

But the kind of listening I find most challenging, is listening TO MYSELF. As in, listening to intuition.

Which probably explains why all three of my middle grade novels are, at their core, about the main character learning to listen to herself.

I give you a quote from D-39: A ROBODOG'S JOURNEY, a dystopian wartime adventure about a girl trying to save a robodog, a neighbor boy, and herself:


"As we walk away from Everlake, I hear a 

voice. Yes, Go home. Not Mama's voice. Not 

Papa's or anyone else's.


Mine."


...and here is a video from 2-MINUTE WRITING TIP series on YouTube about this very thing. Enjoy!



Comments

  1. I love that your books are about learning to listen to yourself. It's one of the absolute most important life lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the video and the message. We do ourselves a dishonor when we ignore that inner voice. Thanks for the lovely reminder Irene.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment