Catch Me If You Can, by Chris Tebbetts



This image is a slide from a presentation I gave a few years ago, where I was asked to speak  about the influences that made me a writer. And, predictably enough, one of the first things that came to mind on that topic was the kind of reader I was as a kid. Which is to say, a voracious one. On any given day, I was known to have been found in any number locations around the house with my nose stuck in one book or another. 

Besides the predictable spots (in my room, on the couch, etc.) I also had something called The Chris Club when I was maybe ten years old. I was its sole member—president, vice president, secretary and treasurer—and the entire agenda of the “club” was to hang out in our little clubhouse-sized walk-in storage closet and read as much as possible.  

Another favorite reading spot was under the dining room table. I’m not even sure why, except that with the chairs all pushed in, it gave me a sense of hiding out in plain sight that somehow appealed to me. I’ve always been comfortable with solitude, which is another part of what makes writing a good gig for me, and I didn’t become a social creature until middle school. So, during those early middle grade years, I was just fine on my own, as long as I had something to read.

I even had my own version of a treehouse—well, something short of a “house,” but my dad did nail a board to a sturdy branch in the largest tree in our backyard for me, and that was enough. During the warmer months when my mom was more likely to shoo me outside, I’d frequently climb up into that tree with a book and lounge there on that piece of plywood like some kind of outdoor couch for long stretches of time.

I only wish I read as much and as enthusiastically today as I did back then. I mean, don’t get me a wrong. I love a good book. But those middle grade years were like book magic for me, and if anyone wanted to go back in time to catch me reading, that’s exactly where I’d send them.  

Comments

  1. I can totally relate Chris. I often had my nose in a book, with my favorite place being flopped on the bed or floor of my room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I was kind of peripatetic even as a sit-still-and-read-all-the-time kind of kid... :-)

      Delete
  2. I adore this, Chris! I love the slide of all of your reading spots- and oh, how I love the Chris Club!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was a born loner-slash-writer..... (until middle school hit, and then the social butterfly emerged...but I still love all the alone time that writing affords me!)

      Delete
  3. Tree-board envy!
    I would have been there in a flash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given what you said about your middle grade reading years, I can imagine us waving between backyards, from tree to tree.... :-)

      Delete
  4. I love this! We have this weird wooden decorative thing in front of the garage window. BEST reading spot on earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been a fun topic -- reading Jody's post and feeling as though she basically had the same middle experience I did.... then hearing from people here about their out of the way reading spots....etc!

      Delete

Post a Comment