Write it Down by Ann Haywood Leal


It's so easy.  You are on the treadmill at the gym . . . on social media . . .  in the shower . . . and just like that (!) you have a goal.  But as a wise blogger once said:



So definitely do that.  Write.  It.  Down.
 I will ________.
For some reason, seeing it on paper in front of you or on your computer screen makes it real.  It becomes a thing.

And thank you, Kaye Dacus, for this next one:  Give it a set timeline.
 I will ______ by _______.  



Then you've got to . . . 



phone a friend.  Speak your goal OUT LOUD to a real live person.  Do this even before you write down one word, because now it's not just "a thing", it's a real thing.  You have put it out in the universe and you are now holding yourself accountable, and so is your friend.

And maybe the most important thing of all, is something that was embedded in my brain in my teacher life:  Make it attainable.  Sure, I'd like to write 10,000 words today, but it is probably not going to happen. 

What I like to do is to make it two-pronged.  I set what I call my "lofty goal", which is something that is still attainable, but something that is more long-term.  For example, I will finish my first draft by (date) .  Then I'll choose a short-term goal, such as:  I will write two scenes and/or one chapter by . . .

Now GO!  And STICK TO IT, PEOPLE!


HAPPY NEW WRITING YEAR!

Comments

  1. I like this idea of writing the goal down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know the book WRITE IT DOWN, MAKE IT HAPPEN by Harriette Anne Klauser? It's very inspirational just along the lines you've laid down here. I had almost forgotten that book until you triggered these welcome thoughts for me today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment