Sunday, May 22, 2016

Racing Against the Clock by Laurie Calkhoven

I'm racing to meet a deadline and don't have time to write about time, but I did want to share a trick I use to get myself to write on those days when I really don't want to write.  I tell myself that after a free writing session I can stop for the day. Then I set a timer for 10 or 15 minutes, pick up a pen, and go.

Writing by hand works best for this. Something about the connection between the subconscious and the page. I always find myself racing to beat the timer, not thinking so much about the words as I am about finishing the scene (or whatever) in the allotted time. Usually by the end of the 15 minutes, some interesting, juicy things have bubbled up because I turned off my thinking brain. And because juicy, interesting ideas bubbled up, I want to write. (But not always, and then I honor my promise to myself and stop for the day).

On another note, check out these cute covers for my first Easy Readers (being published in August).

3 comments:

  1. Great tip Laurie. Love the covers...looks like more "girl power" books! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really is sound advice! I'll second Darlene. Great covers!

    ReplyDelete