Developing Characters by Darlene Beck Jacobson

A character has been living inside my head, making its presence known, on and off, for many years. I know it's a picture book character, not middle grade, because it speaks to me in a younger, more innocent voice.  It nudges me, cajoles me, even irritates me.  It wants, begs me to tell its story.
   
I've tried several times over the years to write that story.  Verse.  Prose.  With dialogue.  Without.

Each attempt ended up abandoned.  Going nowhere.  So many false starts that disappointed me and my character.

So I pushed it aside and let it be.

Lately, this character has been demanding attention again.  This time, its story has come through loud and clear.  Except for one thing.

There are few, if any, words to the characters story.  Only vivid pictures in great detail.  Beginning, middle, end.  Conflict, resolution.  Just like any good story.

The only way to tell this character's story in a way that makes sense, is to tell it without words.

How does a writer...a user of words...do such a thing?  I'm not an illustrator and my stick drawings would not do justice to this characters tale.

Dare I attempt to "write" a wordless story?

The character is insistent, relentless, and speaks in a voice that is loud and clear.

A voice without words.   

Comments

  1. TOTALLY intrigued by this. Can't wait to see where it leads you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment