My Resolution (January Theme - Sarah Dooley)

I only made one New Years resolution related to writing:

Write.

Every day. No matter what.

I've always been good about writing daily, but recently, with so many aspects of my life competing for attention, I've slacked off a bit. So these first few weeks of the new year, I've focused on renewing my writing routine. Surprisingly difficult when my desk is teeming with bills, and paperwork, and cats. 

My daily writing routine looks a little something like this:

4:45 a.m Hit snooze.
4:55 a.m. Hit snooze.
5;00 a.m. Grumble loudly. Hit snooze.
5:15 a.m. Get out of bed. Trip on cat.
5:20 a.m. Hit start on coffee pot. Stumble into desk chair.
5:25 a.m. Open Word document. Move cat off revision notes.
5:26 a.m. Realize there's no noise coming from the kitchen. Check on coffee pot.
5:27 a.m. Grumble loudly. Add water to coffee pot.
5:28 a.m. - 5:31 a.m. Stare blankly into refrigerator.
5:32 a.m. Eat one blackberry.
5:33 a.m. Blink at Word document. Move cat off revision notes.
5:35 a.m. Begin typing. 
5:35 a.m. Stop typing.
5:37 a.m. Begin typing. Remove cat from keyboard. Remove second cat from keyboard. Remove third cat from keyboard.
5:38 p.m. Retrieve coffee. Trip on cat. Spill coffee.
5;39 p.m. Clean up coffee spill. Get more coffee. 
5:40 p.m. Move cat off keyboard. Move cat off revision notes. Move same cat off keyboard.
5:41 a.m. - 5;45 a.m. Breathe in coffee fumes until it's cool enough to drink.
5:45 a.m. Realize that it's time to get ready for work.

What I'm finding, though, is that the further I get into my routine -- as un-routine as it may feel -- the less I'm letting distractions interfere, and the more writing I'm actually getting done. 

Also, my cats love the early-morning company.

Comments

Post a Comment