Making Glorious Mistakes: January Theme by J. Cervantes

I admit it. I have never been one for New Year's resolutions. I'm one of those every day is a new day to sprint toward the sun, to sail over the moon, to dive off the precipice into the unknown. I never said I do it with grace or fearlessness or even with my eyes open. But I do try to do it with full lung capacity. That's definitely important.

As I ponder 2015 (we writers are so good at pondering), I'm reminded of a post Neil Gaiman wrote a few years ago. I'm sharing his words here because they are brilliantly simple. Perhaps you'll find some truth or meaning in them as well.



“I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes.

Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're Doing Something.

So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.

Whatever it is you're scared of doing, Do it.

Make your mistakes, next year and forever.”  

Comments