Young Writers

I'm stretching the theme of creepy here, so bear with me. On Wednesday night I went and did a presentation at Prince Memorial Library in Cumberland, ME. The librarian there, Lauren Isle, is working really hard to get teens and tweens using the library, and she has a lot of terrific programs going on. I spoke to the kids about my writing process, the importance of "What If" questions, and challenged them to write their own stories.

One member of the audience has already taken that challenge. Devin participated in NaNoWriMo last year, and self-published the outcome, a book about a girl who sprouts fairy wings. What was amazing to me was hearing Devin talk about her writing process. Her least favorite part? The middle. "It's boring," she said. She prefers wrapping up the end. Me, too! In fact, that's what most writers I know would say. As for whether her peers should compete in writing contests as she has? She had a measured response. She thought they were good motivators, but of course you don't always win, and you can't let that get you down. Devin is in 4th grade and has already learned that essential writing skill: rolling with rejection.

So, in honor of Devin, and this creepy theme, I am going to share one of my early writings, from about the time I was Devin's age (when, incidentally, I had the exact same haircut she does now).

Oh Halloween, what a night!
Trick or treating in the pale moonlight.
But I'll be careful 'cause there just may be
A little ghost following me.

Big dreams start small, and I wish Devin -- and all the other young writers out there -- much success and the joy of words!

Comments

  1. Megan, thank you for inspiring me with stories of young writers and their dreams. Good luck to Devin and all the other young writers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful little poem your child self wrote!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment