Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Hard Days and Helpers (Stephanie Burgis)

I had a post all prepared for today, to fit the month's theme.

Then I saw the news last night. The pictures of Boston, the lives lost, the fear and injuries in a city that I love, a city where so many of my friends live. I went to sleep feeling numb.

Then I woke up to the news of the earthquake in Iran.

This is a late post, today, because for a long time, I didn't know what to write about. I didn't even know if I should write about anything at all or if I should just stay silent. In the end, this is what I came up with.

Today, I can't post about writing. Today, this month's theme (when bad things happen to good characters) feels too true-to-life, too painful to write about.

Today, this is all I really want to post, because it's something I've come back to again and again since I first saw it posted on Facebook a few months ago:



There are awful, awful images on the news today.

But there are also so many helpers, in both countries. And today, that's what I'm hanging onto.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Steph (and Mr. R). I'd like to think there is more good in the world than bad, more kind people than cruel, but it only takes a little evil to do great damage. Those who step in to help are the heroes in times of such tragedy.

    ReplyDelete