The Blossoms of Spring

 

The Blossoms of Spring

 

One of the pleasures of lifelong residence in the Washington, D.C., area is the annual arrival of the famous cherry blossoms. This year, after a relatively mild winter with almost no snow, they appeared earlier than usual. Being a fan, I made my way over to a nearby neighborhood known for its bounteous blossoms. Crowds of people lined the streets, craning their necks upward, posing for photos, picnicking on the grass. Neighborhood kids set up lemonade stands, hoping for customers.

 

Cherry tree in bloom

My own yard features a dogwood and two azaleas, still not in bloom; a small crabapple tree, festooned with pink blossoms, and a reluctant young redbud. I had hoped it would produce some amazing blooms this year, but it doesn’t seem to be doing much of anything. Maybe next year!

 

As for me, I’m striking off in some new directions this spring. My first novel for adults, called Off to Join the Circus, will be published in July, and I’m gearing up to let people know about it (it’s available for pre-order on Amazon, B&N, and Bookshop.org!). It’s about an overly enmeshed, neurotic family in the D.C. area, and what happens when a relative returns after 64 years. I’ve been told it’s funny. J

 

This is a first for me, as my previous books have been middle grade fiction for kids or nonfiction for adults. I’m still working on middle grade fiction, as well as other writing projects. Perhaps, like the redbud, they will blossom sometime in the future. For now, I’m going to enjoy the spring and look forward to the dogwood and azaleas, coming soon!

 

--Deborah Kalb

Comments

  1. Congratulations on your new writing success. We have an amazing redbud that looks great when it's in bloom. It just had buds now, but I hope to capture a photo of it to share once it's read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Darlene! I really love redbuds!

      Delete
  2. Congrats!! I'm already hooked by that title. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment