Publishing Process Playlist

Speed of Sound (song) - Wikipedia

Before I signed with my first agent, the song "Speed of Sound" by Coldplay was popular at the time, and it seemed to sum up my feelings: "How long before I get in? Before it starts, before I begin?" I naively thought that once I was agented, everything would move at lightning speed. Um, not so much.  

Tom Petty - TOM PETTY THE WAITING vinyl record - Amazon.com Music

Probably a better song to sum up the whole publishing journey is Tom Petty's "The Waiting." So much of the publishing process is waiting: waiting to finish the book, waiting for an agent to sign you, waiting for publishers to respond to the agent, waiting for a deal, waiting to reviews, and waiting for the book to finally come out. 

But there's also another song that I associate with the publication process, and that's Billy Idol's "Dancing with Myself." Whenever I get good news that I've gotten an offer or a starred review or something else wonderful, I just want to dance around the house alone. One, because I'm a terrible dancer and no one should have to witness that; and two, because I usually can't tell anyone about the deal or review until it is made public. So I have to have my joyous moment mostly by myself and with close family. But every single time, it's just as exciting as the first. 

Billy Idol - Dancing With Myself (1983, Vinyl) | Discogs

Ginger Rue's next book, Wonder Women of Science, is now available for pre-order. Co-authored with rocket scientist Tiera Fletcher, who is currently working with NASA on the Mars mission, the book profiles a dozen amazing women (besides Tiera!) who are blazing new trails in their respective STEM fields.  



 

 

 



Comments