A RHAPSODY ON THE CRUELEST MONTH by Dia Calhoun. April Theme

TS Eliot called April the cruelest month: Here are some lines from:

THE BURIAL OF THE DEAD
April is the cruelest month, breeding

Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
Winter kept us warm, covering
Earth in forgetful snow, feeding
A little life with dried tubers.

That corpse you planted last year in your garden,
"Has it begun to sprout? Will it bloom this year?


Here is my: 
RHAPSODY ON T.S. ELIOT's BURIAL OF THE DEAD
April is the cruelest month because it resurrects us
from winter dormancy. When
maybe I don’t want to.
The characters we create resurrect us
because through them we explore our own lives. Even though
sometimes I don’t want to.
The dead things, the failures, the refuse we would rather not look at
live in our characters. Because
            I don’t want to.
April sun and rain grapple with memories and trauma, pushing them
toward the light and breaking through the soil hurts. Always
            when I don’t want to.
In April, desire stirs. You want to stuff that desire down in the dirt
because you know the pain of trampled shoots. Especially
when I don’t want to.
You get tired. Winter comes. You forget.
Then April, so cruelly you awaken us. Even
            when I don’t want to.

            I want to.


Comments

Post a Comment