I WONDER -- by Jane Kelley

Hmmmm. I wonder if this is an accurate depiction of my thought process? Or just a photo of me at the IRL extravaganza called China Lights?

Recently the New York Times asked a bunch of scientists what they were wondering about. Their responses to the prompt were fun to read. Some questions I shared, like what is dark matter? (Although I also wonder about the metaphoric use of the phrase--why is there evil?) Some I had sort of wondered--like why did writing happen? Some I would never ever have thought of--like why are humans the only species with chins???? Corollary, why do people scratch their chins to indicate that they're thinking? 

So of course I had to come up with my own questions. 

What it's like to be a kid today?

Why is having a purpose important?

Where do ideas come from? 

What is consciousness?

What is magic?

And how can I make it?

JANE KELLEY is the author of many middle-grade non-fiction books and novels, including GRACE AND THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT, which asks the question: can people change like caterpillars do? 

 

Comments