Building a Mystery

The Builders by Jacob Lawrence

'Cause you're working
Building a mystery
Holding on and holding it in
Yeah you're working
Building a mystery
And choosing so carefully
     - from Building a Mystery by Sarah McLachlan


That’s what I’ve been doing recently. Trying to build a mystery; a story creepy and suspicious enough to keep readers turning the page and my mind constantly churning up the possibilities.

As for the song, it's not the first time this chorus has crept into my brain because...
If you think about it, nearly every story holds a little bit of mystery. Doesn’t it? 

You can find Jody Feldman juggling all the vital elements and red herrings of a new book. Meanwhile her other middle grades each have some mystery in them, too. 

Comments

  1. I am in LOVE with this painting. I always say writing a book sometimes feels like building a house.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment