Sometimes "secret" settings are the best --by Jennifer Mitchell

 As a third grade teacher the end of April and the beginning of May start our state testing window.  After students test I like to do relaxing activities, this year I was looking for a book that they could get “lost” listening to after testing.  Last month, I blogged about books I enjoyed as an elementary student so I decided to pick one of those books.  Even though I was in fifth grade when my teacher read The Secret Garden to us, I thought it would be fun to read to my class.  I hadn’t read the book in years, but I knew as a child it painted vivid pictures in my mind as I listened to it.  So far the book has not disappointed the audience, they have been making guesses about where the moaning is coming from (they finally got an answer to that question a couple of days ago).  I also gave them a sheet of white paper to sketch what they thought the “secret garden” looked like when Mary finally found the key to open it.  I love the descriptions the story gives the reader and I love that it is a setting, that as readers, they have never encountered before.  I feel like this book opens up the imagination for readers that isn’t always present in current books.  I hope listening to this book will give them inspiration for their writing when they are creating a setting for their stories.  I also hope it encourages them to try books they might not ordinarily read.  




Comments

  1. The Secret Garden is a favorite of mine. I read it aloud years ago and remember what an amazing experience it was. Some classics just never get old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one I never opened but sounds like I should have.
    The only books that I recall ANY teacher ever reading to my class were the Laura Ingalls Wilder series. Reading to your class will be meaningful to them throughout their lives. Just like this book was for you and Little House On The Prairie was for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fantastic that they connect to this book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently reread this book and found so much of it great for MG kids of today.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment