For Your Imagination--Smack Dab in the Imagination by Dia Calhoun

Today I want to focus on igniting imaginations out there by sharing news about an upcoming novel writing workshop for women of color. This ten week class is offered by my friend and colleague middle grade author Michele Bacon. The cost for the entire 10-week class, including two books, is $100. Scholarships are available to students for whom $100 presents a hardship. 

Here are the pretty amazing details. 

Enroll in a 10-week college-level novel writing workshop via Zoom for 6-8 writers of color.

White people and people of privilege hold most of the power in publishing. I broke in a few years ago, and now I want to break down the walls for you.

During this 10-week class, which meets once per week, you will:
  • Develop your protagonist and other characters
  • Raise the stakes of your story
  • Plot your full manuscript
  • Write and rewrite chapter one
  • Begin writing the full manuscript
  • Critique others' work as they pursue the same objectives

At the end of our 10-week class, you will have a partially written manuscript, a plot mapping the remainder of your story, and commitment from me to read your completed manuscript. Submit it to me within one year of the last day of class. Within four weeks, I will provide a full editorial letter.
 
Yes, future cohorts may include non-POC writers. For now, the cohort comprises only women of color so we have the best chance of creating a genuinely safe space.

If you’re interested in this first cohort comprising only women of color, read on.
 
The cost for the entire 10-week class, including two books, is $100. Scholarships are available to students for whom $100 presents a hardship. 

Classes will consist of brief lectures, writing exercises, critiques, and class discussion. During our first class, we will:
  • Introduce ourselves
  • Devise community norms and how we’ll enforce them
  • Review the syllabus and class expectations
  • Begin our work
 
We’re here for you and your work. My job is to help you hone your skills and to amplify your voice. I acknowledge I am an imperfect ally, but one who is humble, open, and determined to make you and your work more visible. I have 25 years' training and experience in storytelling and craft because I was privileged and lucky to have a good education, study writing in college, and see two of my manuscripts published.

I want to see YOUR manuscripts published.
 
I commit to:
  • Hold space for you 
  • Teach 2.5 hours a week
  • Read submitted work and critique it in advance of the critique class
  • Make myself available to students via email/text/phone
  • Support the decisions you make for your characters and story
 
I ask students to commit to:
  • Attend 2.5 hours of class via Zoom every week
  • Complete and file work in Google Docs by agreed deadlines
  • Read required texts (2) by agreed deadlines
  • Read others’ work and provide constructive feedback via Google Docs and in class
  • Engage in open conversations
  • Provide feedback to me regarding the course and format

For more, and to register click here.
 

Comments