Where Art Thou?

by Charlotte Bennardo

The theme this month is art: cover art, juvenile art, graphic art, etc.

Photo by Marko Blazevic from Pexels

For a short time I read comic books when I was very young. My father was a graphic artist but didn't share that talent with me. My brother has artistic talent, but didn't use it. My mother did some painting, but gave it up. My stick figures are pathetic.



My artistic 'skill' is limited to what I am drawn to and can appreciate. I have favorites- like Van Gogh's Starry Night. Like Monet's Les Jardins de Giverny. Vistas of brilliant sunsets and tropical beaches.

As for cover art, there are a lot of covers that don't thrill me (my books included), and some that do.
With this Covid-19 pandemic, I think art will reflect this dark time: not only in pictures, photography, and graffiti, but also on book covers. Writers all over the globe will write stories, fictional and non-fictional, about this time and there will need to be covers for those books. I wonder how they will look, what art directors and cover artists and illustrators will use to portray how we were feeling and dealing with this pandemic, our lives so overwhelmed with the spread, the fatalities, the upheaval, and the pain of it.

The artist's job is to be a witness to his time in history.

Wishing you all health, safety, and comfort. 

Comments

Post a Comment