A Favorite Quote of Madeleine L'Engle

There are several writing books which I have returned to over and over throughout the years.  Madeleine L'Engle's Walking on Water:  Reflections on Faith & Art is one such book.


I have read Walking on Water more than a couple times.  In those readings, I have highlighted many sections of L'Engle's insights about the heart and soul of creating art of any kind.  Besides the times I've read this book cover to cover, there have been many occasions when I have paged through the book rereading and pondering certain sentences or specific passages.

One of the sentences that speaks volumes to me is, "Ultimately, when you are writing, you stop thinking and write what you hear."

Amazing that a thirteen-word sentence packs such a huge punch.

The idea of listening when we write is for me sort of the "mystery" of the creative process.  When I am fortunate enough to be in the middle of a writing project, and I am able to enjoy the experience of having my characters speak to me so that I can write their story, I know I am doing my best work and telling the story I am supposed to tell.

I'm thankful that in her lifetime, Madeleine L'Engle, not only learned to listen well enough to write the amazing novels we love.  But I'm also thankful, she took time to write Walking on Water and spoke directly to those who create art, encouraging them to be true to the work they have been called to give to the world.

Happy Listening & Creating,
Nancy

Comments

Post a Comment