Dear Me...What I Wish I Knew at the Beginning of the Year by Darlene Beck Jacobson

This theme of "What I wish I knew at the beginning of the year" hit home recently when I attended a Writer's Workshop weekend.  Agents and Editors on the panel were asked the question:  "Is there a time of year when It's NOT good to send out a manuscript?

Dear me...THERE IS!  Everyone concurred that the months of November and December and the first two weeks of January were probably not the best time for getting a quick turnaround or thoughtful read of a manuscript.  All this time I thought the summer months...with people on vacation and kids out of school made agents and editors less likely to have time to read new projects. They'd lie around like seaweed on a beach. Because of that erroneous belief, I've used the summer months to polish up projects that I've sent out in October-December.

Dear me...I guess I'm going to have to come up with a new plan.

Comments

  1. I've heard that! I did get the wheels turning on my first book deal in November...but I subbed the book in early October.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I submitted two manuscripts to my agent in late Oct. and they're still in the "queue" to be read...I don't expect I'll hear anything until January. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment